Week 11 Storytelling: Rain


It had been 20 generations since it rained.

Around The Mountain, next to a mountain stream, the last of humanity clung to life. They grew their food and kept their records and moved along one day at a time. Many of them were barren, and so children were surrounded by great celebration.

There was one couple who were blessed with a great many children: eight, to be exact. However, most of their children died. Only two of their boys survived to reach adolescence.

Their eighth son, Krishnu, was very respected in their community. When he was young, all the women fawned over him. As he grew and proved himself an excellent farmer and explorer, the men lauded him.

He led expeditions further and further into the forgotten world, exploring caves and palaces, looking for remnants of the past, trying to find something their careful historical records may have missed. On one journey, they came across a temple full of scrolls. The men handled them tenderly, looking through to see if there were any that they could read. Those that were in their language were carried back to their community. As the explorers pored over the words, one of the men happened upon the tales of Indra.

"A rain god," he exclaimed. "Maybe this is why the rain stopped. Maybe if we appease this god, the rain will return."

Up in the heavens, Indra turned his face toward earth in anticipation, ready to shower the few people left on Earth with his blessings to win them back to his bosom. He had forgotten, though, the lesson that Krishna taught him long ago.

Down on Earth, Krishna shook his head. "Don't be absurd. The mountain waters us. It always gives us just enough. Rain would just flood our crops that we water so carefully. Leave Indra be. Let us focus on our mountain."

This angered Indra. The sky cracked with lightning and thunder, and for the first time, the people smelled petrichor, the smell before rain. When the first drop fell, the people were bewildered, though they weren't afraid. However, the fact that the rain was a product of Indra's rage soon became apparent. As the others ran about to bring things inside and dry to dig drainage for the crops, Krishna gazed at the sky. Indra almost cowered, but he stood strong, so Krishna began to climb. As he grew nearer to the peak, Indra began to worry. When Krishna reach him, and gazed into Indra's eyes, the rain stopped. They never exchanged a word.

Krishna went back to his little community, and it was a week before they realized that Indra had learned his lesson. A light rain began to fall, and it soon ceased. Krishna's generation became the generation of the rain.

Author's Note: This is a sort of follow up to the story in "Cradle Tales of Hinduism" in which Krishna leads the people away from the worship of weather deities. In this story, Krishna does so again in an almost apocalyptic world, though in this story he climbs a mountain rather than holding up a mountain.


Source: Sister Nivedita, Cradle Tales of Hinduism
Photo Source: Mountains by ITS @ Seattle Pacific 

Comments

  1. Rachel,

    I can definitely tell that you are an English major; I would love to be able to write as well as you do someday! I'm afraid law writing won't be nearly as exciting as the writing that you do, haha! Just like the previous comment I made, I love this story as well. The image at the beginning really caught my attention (I have never seen mountains like this in person). It was such a tragic story, but it was a beautiful one nonetheless. This story was also a new perspective on Krishna that I haven't seen before. I loved that you presented the characters from the Cradle Tales with more detail. I loved reading both of your stories, and I will definitely keep up with you blog through the remainder of the class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel! Like Leigh said, I think your proficiency in writing shows. The new perspective that you brought out about Krishna was super interesting, and, although it was pretty tragic, I enjoyed reading it since it was so well written! I really loved the way you developed your characters, and think I will learn from the way you wrote this story to write my own. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachel!
    I like the simple way you told this story. it feels like a very well crafted telling of the source material that clarifies things rather than adds to many new things. It is well structured and enjoyable to read. I didn't even realize how quickly I had read it until I was done! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel!

    I think you did a great job of developing and telling your story. I kept waiting for Krishna to pick up the mountain to shelter his men from the rain, so it was a nice twist when he climbed the mountain instead. You also did a great job at showing the power and respect that Krishna commanded. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Rachel !

    I really enjoyed reading your story about Krishnu. Also, I have to say, I can tell that you are an English Major. I think it would benefit your story if you talked about how the rest of the children died. I was wondering what happened after I read that part. The diction that you chose to use in house story is pretty good. This story was a sad one but it definitely was a good one! Good job !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rachel!

    I really enjoyed reading this story. I liked that your took an ancient story and set it in a dystopian future. I don't think I have read another story that has done anything similar so far. Your writing style is great and definetely drew me in immediately. I read a different Krishna source than you did and he was almost arrogant in that source so I like that you had him a little more reserved and determined. Overall great job, and I look forward to reading more!

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Rachel! I have read some of your stories before and I really enjoyed them so when it came time to chose a blog to comment, I saw your name and couldn't resist! I have read another Krishna story this week but yours is my favorite! you did a great job writing and developing the characters! Can't wait to see what your write next!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Lover of Cats, Books, and Tea